Saturday, August 31, 2013

Boat Stands

With Father's Day tomorrow, I won't be getting much done on the boat. So after work today I took a trip to Sydney, in order to pick up a crucial 'V-Top' boat stand for the bow. Due to lack of funds, I initially splurged out on only four main stands (plus a smaller keel stand), with the bow supported on a flimsy bit of timber. Still, the boat has seemed quite stable whilst I've been messing around on it up until now. She doesn't seem to move at all when the wind kicks up either. I haven't taken any chances with it though, and have avoided moving too far forward whenever aboard.


It's taken a while, but now I could finally afford at least one more stand (hence today's journey to the 'mad-house' of Sydney).





These things are expensive, but a bloody good bit of kit. I had played with various ideas for homemade alternatives, but in the end I figured that it wouldn't be worth the risk. Our son lives in the cabin right next to the boat. Plus the gas cylinders probably wouldn't be the best place to suddenly (and violently) park a boat on top of. I'll need a couple more stands for the sides sometime in the future, so I can move the existing ones around and get to the hull beneath. 

At least now I can get right up into the bow and remove the rest of the anchor chain, as well as have a good look around up in there. I'm also keen to get that mangled bow rail off. 


The stands are 'Brownell Boat Stands', which are made in the USA. Their agent here in Sydney is "Butchart Marine Services' (in Dee Why). Greg (the Managing Director) has been very professional and helpful. I couldn't be happier with these stands, and highly recommend them. 
(And no, I don't have any affiliation with these guys)


I'm less than happy with my keel support set up though. The forward part of the keel currently sits on a pile of hardwood fence post sections (formerly destined to be firewood). The aft section sits on an adjustable Brownell keel stand. This was so that I could adjust for the sloping and uneven ground. At some point I intend to source some big, thick solid bits of hardwood, and try to support the length of the keel more evenly. Hopefully I'm not distorting the hull at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment