Thursday, August 8, 2013

After Sales Service - 44 years later

Its been a bit quiet boat wise the last couple of weeks, but the weather forecast looks good for this weekend so I should be able to get a bit more work done. I haven' been completely idle however. I've located a mob in England (BPSC Marine) who can restore the Sestrel hand compass for around £120. Seems reasonable, although I don't know how much the shipping would cost yet. Still, it'd probably be worth it when I can afford to get it done (stop laughing).

I've also been in contact with the legendary team of Fiona and Jeremy Rogers (original builders), and they've been incredibly supportive. They've passed on a lot of really helpful information and tips. They've also sent me photos of a CO26 that they bought back and restored about 13 years ago called 'Rosina of Beaulieu' (see link to online album: 'Rosina - Rogers' Contessa 26'). Here's what Fiona had to say:


"He restored Rosina of Beaulieu, a 1974 boat, some 13 years ago, and she ended up looking like new.  She also became a famous Round-the-Island Race winner under our ownership, as she achieved an unprecedented three overall wins (2002 /03 /06)!  We then sold her and went on to restore a famous old Contessa 32, Gigi.  Now we’re back to Contessa 26 hull number 6, which originally belonged to the generous man who funded the tooling to set up production– without him nothing could have happened, and so it is highly appropriate that we should own and restore Grayling."
 The photos are a great source of inspiration at the moment, and I've made my keyboard quite soggy by drooling all over it whilst studying the shots. It seems hard to imagine that Sentina will one day look like this. 

They were also able to confirm some important data on my boat. Apparently she is Hull Number 49, and her class sail number is CO 150. She was built for a Mr. Wheatly, and a Bill of Sale was raised on 17 March 1969 for £2, 835.00. We believe she was sailed out to Australia by Mr John Lynton Moate. If there's anyone out there who might have any idea about who this guy is/was, then please do us a favour and let me know. I'd love to find out some details about this voyage. 



No comments:

Post a Comment